Balloon Sinuplasty – Relief for Sinusitis Symptoms
Are you one of the 30+ million Americans plagued by sinus issues? If you are, then you are no stranger to the symptoms of sinusitis. Those symptoms are typically nasal congestion, sinus pressure, fatigue, headaches, pain and even possibly a reduced sense of taste and smell.
But what exactly is sinusitis? Sinusitis occurs when the sinuses become blocked and filled with fluid or mucus and bacteria or viruses grow causing an infection (ie a sinsus infection). The infection then causes inflammation or swelling of the tissue of the sinuses.
Typically a one time or occasional sinus infection can be treated with over the counter medications. But what if your sinsusitis persists? Or what if you get frequent sinus infections? Then a trip to an ear, nose and throat doctor such as Dr. Dobleman is likely in order to treat your chronic or recurrent sinusitis.
What will the ENT specialist do for you if you have recurrent or chronic sinusitis? It is highly likely you are a candidate for a new, quick, simple procedure called balloon sinuplasty to treat your sinusitis symptoms.
Balloon sinuplasty is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a small, flexible balloon catheter to open up blocked sinus passageways. When the balloon is inflated, it restructures and widens the walls of the sinus facilitating drainage of the built up mucus in patients suffering from sinusitis symptoms.
Dr. Dobleman performs balloon sinuplasty in his office using local or topical anesthesia. This option appeals to patients who want relief from sinusitis symptoms and would prefer to avoid the stress and hassle of a hospital operating room procedure. Other benefits of balloon sinuplasty include:
- Nonsurgical procedure. No cutting of bone or tissue.
- No general anesthesia – only topical anesthesia
- Quick! Balloon Sinuplasty typically only takes 15 – 25 minutes
- Location – can be done in a comfortable office setting rather than a hospital operating room
- Patient satisfaction – most patients highly recommend balloon sinuplasty to family and friends
- Cost Savings – some eligible patients have lower out-of-pocket costs because the prodecure is performed in Dr. Dobleman’s office as opposed to in the hospital.
To find out if you’re a candidate for balloon sinuplasty, and to start getting sinus relief, contact Dr. Dobleman’s office at 402.393.7050.